Saturday, May 29, 2010

Thought life: Is there room for God?

Before I go on to the second thing God showed me about Psalms 1 and the path we choose to follow, I really felt pressed to think about this phrase he gave me, "thought life".
As he has been showing me the first part, this taking in advice, he has been expanding it further into my thought life. In Psalms, he says:
"In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God."
It made me think am I taking in so much TV programming, talk radio, and every other form of media that there is no longer room for God in my thoughts? How is it we can go from Sunday around 12:00 to Wednesday or even the next Sunday without God dwelling in our thoughts. Have we fallen so far into a fast paced, 24 hour cycle news day that we have forgot the sound of silence except for that brief moment before our eyes fall closed for the night?
I think about Romans 12 that says:
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
We are called to live this life....this thought life with Him and His word as first and last word. As the measure of all we allow to enter our minds. Sometimes I wonder if Western Christianity has forgot God's ways and our cultural ways are very different. We are not to be conformed by this worlds culture because we are apart of and called to a Kingdom culture.

Paul says to the Corinthians:
"For who has known or understood the mind (the counsels and purposes) of the Lord so as to guide and instruct Him and give Him knowledge? But we have the mind of Christ (the Messiah) and do hold the thoughts (feelings and purposes) of His heart."

So in having the mind of Christ and heart sensitivity, we are held to a higher standard- A Kingdom standard. I think what God shared with Isaiah is the best description of this standard.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than our ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace"

My question is are we settling for what is common to man in our thought lives or are we seeking daily and making the renewing of our mind a priority?

No comments:

Post a Comment